[Ads-l] Early Use of The Real Mackay

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Thu Jun 9 02:22:20 UTC 2016

I have now obtained a copy of the key pages of The Deil's Hallowe'en, which until Garson's discovery was considered the earliest example of "real McKay."  (Actually, we can't tell which example was earlier, since The Deil's Hallowe'en is just dated "1856," but it seems likely that a poem about Hallowe'en was published later in the year than June 10.)  I am happy to share these pages with anyone who would like a copy.

The cover provides the following information:  "The Deil's Hallowe'en:  A Poem.  By Young Glasgow.  Glasgow: Published by George Logan, 47 Adelphi Street.  1856.  Price Sixpence."  This is in all caps, except for the price.  Someone has written a name at the top, probably the author's real name, but I can't decipher the handwriting, although the first name may be Lamar.

The relevant passage is on page 25.  There is an open quotation mark at the beginning, but the corresponding unquote is after the end of the page:

""Sae welcome, devils, great and sma',
A merry nicht o't to ye a'!
Lift up your meazled heads ance mair,
And let us sing 'Begone, dull care!'
Beneath my twa reel-yeukin' cluits
There's what 'ill sharpen a' your wits,--
A drappie o' the real M'Kay,
Ye'll find it, devils, when you try.
I red ye, lads, by horn and hoof!
It's jist a hunder (23) over-proof.
I wadna gi'e a catholic damn
For an adulterated dram;
But that, my joes, ye needna fear,
There's no a drap o' water here."

The "(23)" refers to an author's endnote, as follows:

"23.--"_A hunder over-proof._"
Proof whisky is half spirit and half water.  If a portion of it be lighted, and _half_ of it burns away, the liquor is _proof;_ and it is proportionally over or under proof as less or more than the half burns off.  A hundred over-poof [sic] would therefore be _cent. per cent._, or pure spirit."

Note that, while "real M'Kay" here clearly means whisky, there is no reason to associate it with any particular brand or distiller.  Accordingly, the OED is misleading at best when it says, "In quot. 1856, a tagline used by G. McKay and Co., distillers of whisky."  Note also that, while the OED represents the line as "A drappie o' the real McKay," the original uses the spelling "M'Kay."

John Baker