[Ads-l] _piece_ interdating; _it_ interdating; _jaw_ "cheek," pl. "face"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 11 13:07:04 UTC 2016

1953: OED (buried in 9b).

1682, in V. de Sola Pinto & A. E. Rodway _The Common Muse_ (London:
Chatto & Windus, 1957) 425: Do'st think it lawfull for a Piece/ A
silly Foal to Bugger?

(You read that right.)

ca1890? _The Stag Party_ (N.p., n.d.) 219: She was an arrant whore and
had her heart set on a piece from Joseph.

The unpublished HDAS files exist only as digitized images of 3x5
cards, and I regret that I can't make 'em large enough to read in full
my camped handwriting from ca1970. The book's title may be _A Slave to
Duty_, by Octave Thanet, 1898. I do guarantee that the passage is
real, however:

ca1900 [19th C. handwriting defacing NYPL copy of (illegible) : The
guests began to take on board so much liquor that I thought it best to
leave the table with my wife, and get a piece aboard the Coquette. I
therefore arose and stated that I was compelled to retire on account
of my wife's [illegible] health, and for a wonder Captain Bluff made
no objection.

JL