[Ads-l] /hud/

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 14 12:57:02 UTC 2016

I was surprised - no, startled - thirty-odd years ago when I first
heard a Chicagoan pronounce "hood" (hoodlum; dangerous  criminal) with
the vowel of "too."

Back where I come from, "hoodlum" has that vowel, but "hood"  never does.

The point of all this is that the 1930 movie _Doorway to Hell_,
starring Lew Ayres as Chicago's top mobster, employs the / u /
pronunciation:

"You better take your /hudz/ out of Rocco's territory."

JL