[Ads-l] "Latinx" revisited

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jun 15 17:55:58 UTC 2016

From Yale's president Peter Salovey, a message of grief and support in the wake of Orlando:

Acts of unfathomable violence, such as the tragedy that took place in Orlando earlier this week, touch all of our lives. For some in our community, the impact is especially personal or immediate. I encourage everyone at Yale—faculty, staff, and students—to seek comfort from each other and to offer support to friends and colleagues. We cannot know all of the Yale family members for whom the mass shooting on Saturday struck close to home, but we can hold all of them in our thoughts and prayers, and we can particularly acknowledge the grief of our LGBTQ and Latinx communities,...
[emphasis mine]
I wonder if he and everyone who uses it knows it's supposed to be pronounced (i.e. as in Kleenex)--or, for that matter, how the sadly  so 2015 "Latin@" is.  Here's the scoop, courtesy of http://rebloggy.com/post/how-to-pronounce-latinx/113282267517 <http://rebloggy.com/post/how-to-pronounce-latinx/113282267517>
Latin-ex (phonetically lateen-ex)

Bonus: Latin@ is pronounced either Latin-at (lateen-at) or Latin-ow (lateen-ow) the same way that “cow” sounds to emphasise the dual o/a sounds.

For both you are simply taking the pronunciation of Latino/a, dropping the o/a, and adding the x/@ sounds respectively.