[Ads-l] on accident

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 17 17:55:59 UTC 2016

> a borrowing from children's language.

I concur, and almost said so.

I can't recall ever hearing the phrase before, but I was born so long
ago that a) I probably didn't and b) might not remember if I did.

Besides being a borrowing, it may also be some kind of hypercorrection
oin the theory that "[prep] purpose" and "[prep] accident" should be
precisely parallel.

Does anyone say "by purpose"? ("By design" doesn't count.)

JL