[Ads-l] Pronunciation of "faith" and "also" in parts of Alabama

Charlie Law chaslaw at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 2 11:42:14 UTC 2016

[This is my third attempt to post this message. I keep having weird
character-encoding problems. Sorry for the duplication!]

I've recently been going to a Presbyterian church in Georgia where several
of the pastors are native Alabamans. I've noticed that all three of them
pronounce the word "faith" something like this: "feyth". To reproduce this
pronunciation, say the word "fate" but add a "th" at the end.

Also, I'm sometimes hearing the word "also" pronounced as if there were a
"t" inserted prior to the "s", something like this "awltso"

What's going on with this? Do these speech patterns occur in a certain
geographical area? I can't pin it down.

Thanks.

-chaslaw