[Ads-l] help with question on emojis as lingua franca

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 9 01:28:54 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I just got the query below from a staff member in the business school here.  I can't really respond myself, but if anyone wants to take it on, please contact either me or Mr. Mattison directly.

 I’m a staff member at the School of Management and an editor of Yale Insights, our online magazine. We’re putting together a special issue of the magazine focused on various aspects of globalization. We wondered if there might be a fruitful conversation about the development of emoji as a lingua franca of sorts—or if there are other lingua francas that are being enabled by the development of global electronic communication.

Would you be willing to have a conversation with me on this topic, aimed at a general (if educated) audience?

Ben Mattison
Director of Editorial and Design
Yale School of Management
T 203-432-2621   F 203-432-9992