[Ads-l] Hip/Hep and "Crying Wolof" (for Horn & Sheidlower)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 13 13:59:42 UTC 2016

It is also true that representations of AAVE either by African-American
writers or well-informed whites are comparatively rare before WWII.

I can't think, offhand, of any really substantial glossaries of black slang
before Dan Burley's enthusiastic _Original Handbook of Harlem Jive_
(1944).  Those that exist are perfunctory

An informed analysis of Burley's book is long overdue (unless there's one
that I'm unaware of, which is a distinct possibility).

JL