[Ads-l] Hip/Hep and "Crying Wolof" (for Horn & Sheidlower)

Z Rice zrice3714 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 14 12:46:53 UTC 2016

Mr. Mufwene, I would like to respond to you directly.

We cannot have this conversation, when you refer to the mass
human-trafficking and genocide of children, women, and men, as something as
dignified as a "trade". This already tells me that you are educated and
conditioned to navigate within the eurocentric paradigm. That paradigm is
not mine but you have indeed adopted it as your own - as is indicated in
your earlier post.

This paradigm colors everything that you wrote to me - which by the way,
was riddled with strawman arguments. You did not address the actual
terminology in my study, while you simply used "gumbo" and "okra", terms
that were NOT in my study, to give the appearance that you were refuting my
work. Additionally, you used Congo/Angola and the Bight of Benin as
strawmen to refute a paper that is specifically about WOLOF. Why would
Congo/Angola and the Bight of Benin be in a paper that is about the myth of
"Crying WOLOF"??

Again, you can continue to believe that these etymologies related to
hundreds of words are mere "coincidences". This is the settler paradigm.
You have been educated within that and you use it to reason - even when it
comes to what is African itself. I do not.

And to be clear, I debated addressing YOU for a long time. I've read your
work, particularly your comments on research that was already carried out
by AA elders and I felt compelled to respond to YOU. How you've managed to
overlook so many African etymologies in our language is beyond me - perhaps
it is because you are not a native speaker of the language(s) that you so
often write about.

However, I did not contact you, as I decided to navigate with the wisdom of
our elder, Dr. John Henrik Clarke:  "I only debate equals. All others, I
teach."

Regards,

Zola S.

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 9:10 AM, Salikoko S. Mufwene <s-mufwene at uchicago.edu