[Ads-l] Query about "hobo"

Mon Mar 14 20:46:25 UTC 2016

Below is a message about hobo I sent to the Wombats mailing list in 2013.

The Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang edited by
Jonathan Lighter has a valuable entry on hobo (pg 113 of volume 2)
that presents a few etymological hypotheses.

There was a thread about "hobo" on the American Dialect Society
mailing list in April 2012. Here is a link to a post on that thread.
It is possible to navigate via links to read other posts in the
thread:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2012-April/118117.html

Below is a link to the interesting 1885 article in the Chronicling
America database that was mentioned in the ADS thread. On the
newspaper page there is a discussion of the term "Hobo" near the
bottom of column 1:

St. Paul Daily Globe., November 30, 1885, Page 8, Image 9

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn90059522/1885-11-30/ed-1/seq-9/#words=Hobo

Below is a link to an older article about "hobo" from the World Wide
Words website of Michael Quinion:

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-hob1.htm

Garson