[Ads-l] RES: Bop as a girls name

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 16 19:02:57 UTC 2016

Professor Cohen is entirely correct.

There is something about the word "bop" that many English speakers find
inherently ridiculous.  It usually means to strike someone (as on the head
or in the nose), and mostly appears in humorous contexts, as in cartoons.

Even in my university linguistics courses, the name of the great German
philologist Franz Bopp elicited laughter as soon as it was mentioned.

So "Bop," I believe, would be a poor choice as a forename for anybody in
the English-speaking world.

JL