[Ads-l] Antedatings of vlog, video blog, vlogging, vlogger

Hugo hugovk at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 20 22:16:33 UTC 2016

The OED's March 2016 update includes vlog and derivatives. I found some
antedatings (but not for vlog, n.):

vlog, n.        OED: 16 Apr 2002 ->
video blog, n.  OED: 16 Apr 2002 -> 27 Nov 2000
vlog, v.        OED:  5 Jun 2003 -> 19 Dec 2002
vlogging, n.    OED:        2003 -> 19 Dec 2002
vlogger, n.     OED: 19 Apr 2004 -> 31 Dec 2002

The OED's first example for vlog, n. and video blog, n. are from this 2002
Sydney Morning Herald article. Here it is along with the preceding sentence:

---
They will include RMIT applied communication lecturer Adrian Miles, who
also lectures at Intermedia in Bergen, Norway, and is developing a series
of networked interactive video projects. He will speak about what he calls
"vlogs" or video blogs..
---
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/04/13/1018333434566.html

Miles was possibly the first-ever vlogger, although he instead named them
"vogs". He did have a "vlog" dating back to 2001, but rather than a video
blog this was a blog of "notes and oddments on hypertext, cinema, and
quotidian electronic moments that are attached to vogging":
https://web.archive.org/web/20010920022112/http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/vlog/

===

video blog, n.  OED: 16 Apr 2002 -> 27 Nov 2000

But Miles did use the term "video blog" earlier than his 2002 SMH citation:

---
welcome. this is a video blog. don't know if there are lots around, or what
they should be called. but if its ok to call a web log a blog then it this
can be a vog. i guess. don't really know, since its my first blog of any
description. I think it will have video for each posting, however irregular
that may be. the video might be all the content, or it might just be
illustration. don't know yet. have to test it out. maybe a video diary?
---
https://web.archive.org/web/20010723205211/http://hypertext.rmit.edu.au/vog/12.2000/27.11.00.html

===

One of the first to popularise vlogging was journalist Jeff Jarvis on his
blog BuzzMachine, where he used some of the derivative terms to describe
his own experiments in vlogging.

vlog, v.        OED:  5 Jun 2003 -> 19 Dec 2002

---
Vlogging: How to vlog
---
http://buzzmachine.com/2002/12/19/vlogging-how-to-vlog-i/

===

vlogging, n.    OED:        2003 -> 19 Dec 2002

---
Vlogging: My first two vlogs: I created two new vlogs.
---
http://buzzmachine.com/2002/12/19/note-please-use-this-address/

---
Vlogging: How to vlog
---
http://buzzmachine.com/2002/12/19/vlogging-how-to-vlog-i/

---
At the same time, Jeff Jarvis has spent $99 on a new piece of software and
is experimenting with video weblogging, or vlogging. He says: “The truth
is, all you do to make TV is stare at a camera and read and say something:
It’s easy. There’s no reason a blogger should not be the next Andy Rooney
or Charles Grodin or Ann Coulter (easy marks, all!). I’d take any of their
jobs, tomorrow.”
---
http://weblog.blogads.com/2002/12/20/gawker-and-jarvis-populist-innovators/

---
vlogging: collaborative online video blogging at tropisms.org
Luuk's work is all about vlogging -- that's shorthand for video blogging.
---
https://boingboing.net/2002/12/26/vlogging-collaborati.html

===

vlogger, n.     OED: 19 Apr 2004 -> 31 Dec 2002

---
And I’ll repeat what I said when I started this: Vlogging lets us online go
up against our true competitors — not news organizations and reporters but
commentators, especially on TV (on Sunday morning, on Fox, on 60 Minutes).
Bloggers compete with columnists; vloggers compete with pundits.
---
http://buzzmachine.com/2002/12/31/vlogs-the-state-of-the/

===

Hugo