[Ads-l] Can "desegregate" be intransitive?

Benjamin Torbert btorbert at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 21 21:25:49 UTC 2016

I figure you can make almost anything intransitive if you really work at it.

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Joel Berson <berson at att.net> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Joel Berson <berson at ATT.NET>
> Subject:      Re: Can "desegregate" be intransitive?

> "The University of Alabama desegregated under court order in 1963"=C2=A0
> (P=
> erhaps factually incorrect, but surely grammatical.)
>
> Joel

Benjamin Torbert
Associate Professor of Linguistics
Director of the Master of Arts in English
420 Lucas Hall, U of Missouri-Saint Louis
Treasurer, Southeastern Conference on Linguistics
btorbert at gmail.com
(314) 236-1259