[Ads-l] dihydrogen monoxide (UNCLASSIFIED)

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Wed Mar 23 14:42:59 UTC 2016

>From • http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1791960 :
"NPR's Robert Siegel talks with Professor Tom Way of Villanova University. He maintains a Web site with information for people concerned about dihydrogen monoxide — which is more commonly known as H20, or water."

Now I'm really worried.  Hydrogen-20?  Would make really heavy dihydrogen monoxide.  I hope Iran doesn't get ahold of it.

Joel

      From: Mark Mandel <thnidu at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 1:18 AM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] dihydrogen monoxide (UNCLASSIFIED)

Well, wasn't I staggered when I saw this just now! Many of you probably
remember the great dihydrogen monoxide hoax,* which has popped up in
various forms since at least 1983. In 1997, when Nathan Zohner's
ninth-grade science project "How Gullible Are We?" won him first prize in
the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair, media attention peaked and many
people's interest was piqued, including mine. So I wrote a filk** song on
the subject, to the tune of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic";*** and now I
find it especially interesting that the term had some usage 140 years ago.

* See, for example,
• http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1791960https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrogen_monoxide_hoaxhttp://www.snopes.com/science/dhmo.asp

** https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filk_music

*** https://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/susan/sf/filk/dhmo.htm