[Ads-l] Garbling, redux - and how I fixed it for me

Dave Hause dwhause at CABLEMO.NET
Sat Mar 26 15:07:21 UTC 2016

When I looked at old messages, I didn't have this problem before I changed
email addresses in May, 2012.  When I re-subscribed, my messages from ADS-L
came with this "---- Information from the mail header ---" banner and I also
got garbling, which I learned to live with.  I wondered if it was related to
my configuration with the UGA LISTSERV program and went hunting to find
this:
http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/16.0/htmlhelp/site managers/LSCommands.html
which has the name and definition for this function "DUALhdr – Dual short
headers, useful with older mail programs which do not preserve the RFC822
return email address."

There is also this "Documented Restriction: The use of the SHORTHDR or
DUALHDR options will break messages that depend on MIME encoding, because
these options strip the RFC822 headers that identify the message as a MIME
message. SHORTHDR and DUALHDR were designed for the non-MIME mail clients
which prevailed in LISTSERV's early history. As most mail clients today
support MIME, the use of these options is now deprecated."  and this
"FULLhdr – "Full" mail headers, (default) containing all of the routing
information."

So I decided to see what would happen if I reset my subscription to the
default condition and since then, no more garbled messages.  Here's how I
did it:
Send a message (no subject line needed) to the list PROGRAM (not the list)
at  LISTSERV at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU with the message "SET ADS-L FULLhdr"
And, now, clean messages.

Dave Hause, dwhause at cablemo.net
Waynesville, MO