[Ads-l] Quote: They're not writers; they're typists. (Truman Capote, Sprint 1957)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 28 15:52:32 UTC 2016

> On Mar 28, 2016, at 11:39 AM, W Brewer <brewerwa at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> LH:  << Wonder what the slur is for an academic.  >>
> WB:  Anybody ever call you an egghead?

Could be (I still somehow associate "egghead" as invoked by those scorning Adlai Stevenson because they liked Ike, and figured at the time that it must have something to do with Adlai's receded hairline; cf. http://www.accuracyproject.org/cbe-Stevenson,Adlai.html), but is an academic really an egghead with finesse, or an egghead someone who performs intellectual tasks with brute force rather than style?  Not sure about that.

LH