[Ads-l] ADS-L Digest - 24 Mar 2016 to 25 Mar 2016 (#2016-86)

Brian Hitchcock brianhi at SKECHERS.COM
Tue Mar 29 18:49:46 UTC 2016

All I meant is that an eighth of X is exactly X/8, that is, 0.125 * X.    Not just more-or-less X/8.
Yes, you might divide X unequally into eight parts, but they won't all be "an eighth" of X.

In ordinary daily use (as in regard to, say, cutting a pie), the pieces are indeed considered eighths.
But in a scientific context, when the very thing in question is exactly how many genes make up a "hypothetical minimal genome", precision matters.

As for "hopefully", I meant to commend the use of it as a direct adverb, referring to the subject of the sentence being hopeful (rather than to the speaker of the sentence being hopeful, as is apparently the more common usage these days).

    Hopefully: adv. 	1. In a hopeful manner
			2. Usage Problem It is to be hoped:
			"Marriage is a coming together for better or worse, hopefully enduring" (William O. Douglas)

				- American Heritage Dictionary, fourth edition

This is the "usage problem" I was taught in high school. Apparently it is no longer a "problem", but simply common usage.
=====================================
From: Wilson Gray [mailto:hwgray at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 12:35 AM
To: Brian Hitchcock
Subject: Re: ADS-L Digest - 24 Mar 2016 to 25 Mar 2016 (#2016-86)

In my freshman year, 1955-55, I took Bio 1012 and College Math 101 at what was then termed a "junior college." I have no idea what you're talking about.

Further deponent sayeth not.

once-standard usage of "hopefully"

I had no idea that _hopefully_ had ever been accepted as "standard" by prescriptivists. I Personally use it because I want to, without noticing or caring whether others use it. I have perhaps a decade of life left and I just don't give a fuck about shit like that.

--
-Wilson
-----