[Ads-l] Quote: Any idiot can survive a crisis; it's the day-to-day living that wears you out.

Tue May 3 07:03:59 UTC 2016

Back in September 2013 Stephen Goranson posted a link to an essay
about misquotations by Professor Corey Robin at the website of The
Chronicle of Higher Education.

http://chronicle.com/article/Who-Really-Said-That-/141559/

One of the central examples in Robin's piece was the following
statement which has been linked to Anton Chekhov and Clifford Odets:

Any idiot can survive a crisis; it's the day-to-day living that wears you out.

The analysis of this statement presented at the Quote Investigator
website has now been updated:

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/06/14/face-crisis/

Previously, I was unable to determine why this quotation had been
attributed to Clifford Odets. Now I believe that a plausible answer
has emerged. The linkage to Odets occurred via a line spoken in a
movie called “The Country Girl”. Details are presented at the QI
website here:

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/06/14/face-crisis/

Garson