[Ads-l] A lug of olive oil

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 4 17:48:20 UTC 2016

My sister posted this on Facebook:

~~~~~ ~~~~

I've been reading over an interesting recipe called, "Cauliflower Risotto
with Caramelized Pears, Blue Cheese and Walnuts" that  I am planning to
make. I was doing fine reading through the directions until I came to this:
"Set a skillet with a lug of olive oil over medium heat." Set with a
WHAT??!!!!

Uhhhhh.....Okay....Back to web surfing. And here's the great answer! Anyone
else ever heard of this phrase before? :D

"When you pour olive oil from most bottles it will come in little waves of
sort. Each will make a "lug" or "glug" sound. So 2 lugs will be the amount
that sounds like "lug-lug" when you pour more or less."

Another person commented:

My grandmother used lugs in cooking. A lug was usually a measure of
molasses as I remember, but she may have used lugs other places :-)

Mark Mandel