[Ads-l] No = 'yes; truly'

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 4 20:44:05 UTC 2016

There's been some work in conversation analysis on social functions of "no"
beyond rejection/disagreement. See, e.g.:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378216600000734
Emanuel A. Schegloff, "Getting serious: joke → serious ‘no’," Journal of
Pragmatics, December 2001, 33(12):1947–1955

Russell Lee-Goldman talks about the multifunctionality of "no" in this
presentation on the "yeah-no" phenomenon:

http://www1.icsi.berkeley.edu/~rleegold/ling/ipra2011-presentation.pdf

An episode of the Lexicon Valley podcast about "yeah-no" covered standalone
"no" for emphatic agreement at 20:40:

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/lexicon_valley/2013/06/yeah_no_lexicon_valley_slate_podcast.html

And finally there was Kathryn Schulz's New Yorker article last year, "What
Part of 'No, Totally' Don’t You Understand?":

http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/what-part-of-no-totally-dont-you-understand

Contains links to Language Log posts by Mark Liberman -- Mark followed up
here:

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=18588