[Ads-l] The end is near: "substitute for" replaces "replace with"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu May 12 01:54:15 UTC 2016

How about this one, which can only be read with innovative "substitute" (= 'replace')?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/27/opinion/sunday/a-few-questions-about-the-specials.html <http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/27/opinion/sunday/a-few-questions-about-the-specials.html>

I really like the sound of the orecchiette and broccoli rabe, but I’m currently on the Paleo diet. Well, most days I’m on it. I alternate between Paleo, juice cleanses and eating like the world is going to end tomorrow. But tonight I’m sticking to Paleo, so no carbs! Pretty sure early man didn’t have handmade orecchiette, so I shouldn’t either. Can I substitute that for something else? Do you have any ancient grains in the kitchen? Or perhaps you could just swap out the pasta for a pile of sticks you found in the woods?

[It's a pretty funny piece, but the "substitute that for something else" doesn't seem to be part of the parody.]

LH