[Ads-l] Sources for FedEx Anecdote

Sun May 15 18:49:53 UTC 2016

An instance of the anecdote appeared in "The Washington Post" in
February 1981. The article contained quotations from Fred Smith, and
it seemed that the reporter spoke to Smith for the story. But the
comment about the grade assigned to the paper was not presented as a
direct quotation. The reporter wrote: "He got a C on the paper."

Please double-check for typos, OCR errors, and other mistakes.

Date: February 22, 1981
Newspaper: The Washington Post
Newspaper Location: Washington, D.C.
Section: The Washington Post Magazine
Article: Overnight Success
Author: Bill Snead
Start Page SM10, Quote Page SM13
Database: ProQuest

[Begin excerpt]
Inspiration struck when Smith attended Yale in the mid-1960s.
Desperate to find a subject for a much-procrastinated economics paper,
Smith stayed up late one night and stumbled upon his legendary idea:
Buy a fleet of jets, fly only in the middle of the night, shuffle
packages at one centrally located hub, pick up and deliver to
customers' doorsteps and charge oodles of money. He got a C on the
paper.

"I had the advantage of not knowing anything," Smith recalls. His
model was the phone company, which uses a central switching exchange
to transfer calls from distant points. As an ignorant undergraduate,
Smith remembers thinking: "With the hub, the aggregate of all
transmission would be enormously efficient."
[End excerpt]

Another instance of the anecdote appeared in The Atlanta Constitution
in June 1981. The reporter described the response of the teacher to
Smith's paper as follows: "Such a business could never work, the
instructor told his student, and gave the disappointed Smith a barely
passing grade."