[Ads-l] Throwing money at X

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 16 21:33:48 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 3:44 PM, Gordon, Matthew J. <GordonMJ at missouri.edu>
wrote:

> Moreover, while I'm not very familiar with strip club etiquette, I don't
> think that throwing is the preferred delivery mechanism for tipping the
> workers.

Well, it's all right, if you "make it rain" by throwing such a huge number
of bills into the air above the stage that it figuratively "rains" money
down on the dancers. I've never heard or read of anyone _throwing_ money at
dancers nor have I ever _seen_ anyone throwing money at dancers.

In the California of the '60's, when mere nude dancing was the standard and
not the near Olympics-grade gymnastics required of today's non-nude
dancers, patrons who _literally_ wanted a close-up but impersonal view of a
dancer's genitalia placed $2.00 on the stage. The dancer came over,
exhibited herself, then picked up the money, and danced away. At no time
and under no circumstances was a dancer ever touched nor did dancers
otherwise have any physical or social contact with any patron, even in
those bars in which a dancer, in exchange for the two-dollar tip, exhibited
herself not on the stage, but by coming down from the stage and lying on
her back on the patron's table, giving him a closer-than-gynecologist's-eye
view of her genitalia. Even then, there was no social or physical
interaction between dancer and patron, whether publicly in the bar or
privately in a so-called "VIP room."

Clearly, whoever said that "the expression had a primary association with
throwing money at strippers" simply has no idea whereof s/he speaks.

In like manner, a poster to the NYTimes.com asserted the problem with
on-line pornography is that it sets fantastical standards that can not be
met in reality, thereby demonstrating that he, too, had no idea.

Utter nonsense. Porn asks, "What do you want to see?" It doesn't command,
"Watch and learn!"

--
-Wilson
-----