[Ads-l] lies and statistics; Dilke or Darnell or...?

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed May 18 17:44:31 UTC 2016

This one may not have been popularized, or idiomatic, but it expresses something similar; and is even more interesting in that it foreshadows an SNL skit by about 85 years:

"It is the work of the sharks, "land sharks," who fasten onto these poor innocents, and by the use of glowing descriptions (lies), selected statistics, beautifully colored maps and extracts from paid for articles in Dakota newspapers, induce these people to sacrifice their all for a home in the path of blizzards and on the wrong side of zero."

The Lafayette Advertiser (Louisiana), March 15, 1890, page 4.