[Ads-l] lies and statistics; Dilke or Darnell or...?

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Thu May 19 08:31:22 UTC 2016

The Crosse quote is from The Living Age 195 (Issue 2523) (1892 Nov 5), 372–383 at page 379 and The Eclectic Magazine of Foreign Literature 56 (4), 505–515 at page 511 according to Prof. Peter Lee.
SG

From: American Dialect Society <...> on behalf of ADSGarson O'Toole <...>
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 6:46 PM
To: ...
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] lies and statistics; Dilke or Darnell or...?

A couple years ago I found a match in Google Books for the bowdlerized
version of the statement: "Lies, d——d lies, and statistics". The match
occurred in a book published in 1892 but the publication date within
the year was uncertain. I see now that the use of the word
"unveracity" was similar to the instance spoken by Arthur Balfour in
June 1892.

(Of course, Stephen has identified valuable precursor expressions that
were circulating before 1892.)

Year: 1892
Book Title: Red-Letter Days of My Life