[Ads-l] ? Meaning of "Japan" below?

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Fri May 20 14:38:14 UTC 2016

Peter,

A useful lead.  It apparently quotes from a catalogue of the Fonthill Abbey "wonders".  Googling for "Fonthill Abbey Japan" turns up some catalogues.  These list many "Japan" objects, some of which may clearly be porcelain, and thus provide the OED with quotations (it has none for the "porcelain" sense of "Japan").

However, in the particular section of your find, I suspect the "Japan" refers to japanning, the varnish.

I might follow this up further, hunting for porcelain.

Joel

________________________________
 From: Peter Morris <peter_morris_1 at BLUEYONDER.CO.UK>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2016 8:25 AM
Subject: [ADS-L] ? Meaning of "Japan" below?

http://tinyurl.com/hb56w6m

Here's a reference about the various wonders housed at
Fonthill Abbey

A Rich and HIGHLY ORNAMENTED CASKET of the
very rare old Japan, completely covered with figures

And if you scroll up, you can also see:
- Six Japan heron-pattern embossed dishes
- Two butter-pots on feet and a bason, cover and stand of Japan
- A very rare specimen of the basket-work Japan
- Two very rare Japan cups
- Two matchless Japan dishes

So it would seem to be porcelain.