[Ads-l] RES: pronunciation mess

David Daniel dad at COARSECOURSES.COM
Wed May 25 11:03:56 UTC 2016

Now you're just being funny - if anything, one would change the spelling to
match the pronunciation. Personally, I don't think I would change anything.
English's disconnect between spelling and pronunciation is part of its charm
and history, AFAIC. But, being used to speaking/reading/writing Spanish and
Portuguese, I do see the practicality of what-you-see-is-what-you-say -
there are no spelling bees in Spanish and Portuguese because if you can say
it you can spell it. OK, there's the occasional x vs. ch, ss vs. ç in
Portuguese but that's about it. I suspect that as English grows as the
planet's lingua franca at some point folks will try to mess with the
spelling. People around the world won't be interested in the history of why
something is written/pronounced a particular way. They'll just want easier
spelling, which will be too bad,  but there it is.
DAD

Enviada em: terça-feira, 24 de maio de 2016 23:40