[Ads-l] "almond" [' ɔːmənd]

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 25 16:43:19 UTC 2016

Totally unscientifically:

Sitting in a restaurant, I just heard "almond" repeatedly pronounced
['ɔːmənd], with a relatively open [ɔ]. I don't recall hearing that
pronunciation before, only [ɑː], [ɑl], and, I think, [æl].

The speakers, at another table behind me, are apparently college age, both
male and female. The location, for what it's worth, is west Philadelphia,
the area known as University City; so there's no telling where they're
from, and I can't hear enough enough of their conversation to guess. Blame
the cocktail party effect:  My last name means 'almond', and I was
contemplating the almond croissants in the pastry case.

And oh, heck, they've just left. I also heard them mention "vowels", and I
was hoping that would be enough of a common interest to excuse my asking
them.

Mark Mandel