[Ads-l] "hinged"

Sat Oct 1 05:55:27 UTC 2016

Michael Quinion has an article on what he calls "unpaired words",
"unpaired negatives", and "unpaired opposites".

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/unpaired.htm

Bonnie Mills (at Mignon Fogarty's website) states that the "dis-"
prefix in "disgruntled" was originally an intensifier. Hence, the
comical back-formation of "gruntled" in "The New Yorker" is displacing
the previous denotation.

[Begin excerpt from "The New Yorker"]
It had been a rough day, so when I walked into the party I was very
chalant, despite my efforts to appear gruntled and consolate.
[End excerpt]

Here is another example in 1972 of the jocular hinged-unhinged pair in
the domain of mentality.

[ref] 1972 December 6, Lansing State Journal, Nancy Stahl, Quote Page
D11, Column 3, Lansing, Michigan. (Newspapers.com)

https://www.newspapers.com/image/208767863/?terms=unhinged

[Begin excerpt]
If this ruse fails, begin skipping around her room chanting "On you
feet, Punkin. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and there's a
big plate of blueberry pancakes downstairs with your name on it."

This will surely bring her to her feet, as she will be certain that
you have become completely unhinged, and she will not want to miss the
excitement of seeing the authorities take you away. At least she will
probably be dressed before she discovers that not only are you still
safely hinged, but there is a howling blizzard outside, the birds are
huddled against the eaves and whimpering, and the only breakfast she
will get is cold toast and lumpy oatmeal.
[End excerpt]

Below is a 2004 example of the unhinged-rehinged pair in the domain of
mentality.

[ref] 2004 October 17, The Desert Sun, Unhinged mind grapples with new
normal in 'No Towers' by Dilshika Jayamaha (Associated Press), Quote
Page E6, Column 1, Palm Springs, California. (Newspapers.com)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Just past the black-on-black silhouettes of the Twin Towers on the
cover of "In the Shadow of No Towers" (Pantheon, $19.95), author Art
Spiegelman begins: "I tend to be easily unhinged."

This large-format comic book-style exploration of Sept. 11 and its
aftermath is Spiegelman's effort to get "rehinged" and the reader's
chance for an unparalleled post-Sept. 11 journey.
[End excerpt]

Here is a 1913 example with unhinged, hinged, and rehinged applied to a gate.

[ref] 1913 January 17, The Liberty Vindicator, Worry, Quote Page 4,
Column 4, Liberty, Texas. (Newspapers.com)[/ref]

https://www.newspapers.com/image/53258644/?terms=unhinged

[Being excerpt]
Your old friend was right. It does no good to worry. True it is also
that the unhinged front gate will not forever stay hinged when
rehinged. But there is danger in the philosophy of dolce far niente.
Folks who never worry any themselves are usually worried over a good
deal.
[End excerpt]

Garson