[Ads-l] Miscellanea: boresome, choicy v. boring, choosy

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 3 04:35:23 UTC 2016

In my lost youth, *boresome* and *choicy* - neither of which my spellcheck
recognizes, though MW does - were universally used in BE in place of
*boring* and *choosy*. It was as though the latter were non-existent. Only
one *serious* code-switcher - this writer - ever bothered with the standard
forms.

I was mildly surprised to see *boresome* and *choicy* in the UD with the
usual, off-the-wall "definitions," as though they were slang. I was
startled to see that *boring* and *choosy* are likewise in the UD and are
given similar treatment. So...

Youneverknow.

--
-Wilson