[Ads-l] Liberman on Slang

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 4 12:13:06 UTC 2016

Robin is by far in the best position to do this. His familiarity with early
British cant is unparalleled.

He's already posted a brief reply to Liberman.

Liberman's argument is not implausible (William of Ockham is on his side in
the formal derivation from Scandinavia), but the proposed semantic
development overlooks some relevant 18th C. senses of "slang" documented in
Partridge's _Dictionary of the Underworld_  but not yet in OED.

JL