[Ads-l] WOTY? The p-word

David Kendal me at DPK.IO
Sun Oct 9 07:36:08 UTC 2016

On 9 Oct 2016, at 01:01, Robin Hamilton <robin.hamilton3 at virginmedia.com> wrote:

> OTOH, while I was a *little* surprised to see the Guardian printing what they
> did without pussyfooting around the issue, I would be astounded if they printed
> "nigger", even heavily contextualised, and surrounded by quotes.  "The N-word"
> remains the default here.

2012: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/dec/04/man-cleared-racial-abuse-endearment
2013: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/04/black-woman-n-word-court-case (avoided in the main headline, full-out elsewhere)
2014: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jun/01/justin-bieber-n-word-video-racist-joke (ditto)
2015: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2015/jun/22/obama-n-word-wft-marc-maron-audio (in audio and words)
2016: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/02/gerry-adams-defends-n-word-tweet-django-unchained (again, avoided for headline)

Plenty more instances to find under a Google search for
["nigger" site:theguardian.com]. Lots of them in opinion/debate pieces
about the word itself.

dpk (David P. Kendal) · Nassauische Str. 36, 10717 DE · http://dpk.io/
  We have reached the third degree where we devote our intelligences to
  anticipating what average opinion expects the average opinion to be.
  And there are some, I believe, who practice the fourth, fifth and
  higher degrees.        — Keynes (on how markets decide value)