[Ads-l] Predatory sexual behavior is out; patriarchalism remains

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Sun Oct 9 17:23:00 UTC 2016

Like Joel, I too have been misconstruing Senator McCain, and doing him an
unjust.   I'd taken him to be referring to "our [Mormon] women", but he's in
effect using a slightly archaic, to my ear, term for SE "wife", usually coupled
with the modifier "old", as in, "That's my old woman painted on the wall"
(Browning), or in the male variant, "My old man said, Folllow the van, and don't
dilly-dally on the way" (Traditional Popular Song).  A matter of register
variation rather than implicit sexism.  Or whatever.

Robin

*** unjust -- originally a typo for an intended "injustice", but I *like* it.
  It may even fall into the category which M.A.K.Halliday calls Grammatical
Metaphor:  "The cross-coupling ... not between words (lexical items) but between
grammatical classes." (CW 5, p. xvi).  Actually, it doesn't, as it doesn't
contain more than a single item, but at least it gives me a chance to drop the
name of the Edinburgh Maoist into the conversation.   R.