[Ads-l] Preferred Pronoun--pragmatics and policy

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 10 16:41:57 UTC 2016

"[A]n August [2015] post on the Office of Diversity and Inclusion's website
that encouraged UT faculty, staff and students to be 'welcoming and
inclusive for all' by not assuming gender identity and by asking for
preferred pronouns, including the gender-neutral options like 'xe,' 'xem'
and  'xyr.'"

My two cents: LGBTQ students should be allowed to choose from "he" and
"she," as they prefer.

All else is vanity and will result in confusion, chaos, and resentment far
beyond any presumed therapeutic benefit for individuals or society. LGBTQ
persons (and anybody else) not satisfied with "he" or "she" can, if they
wish, try to persuade everyone they meet to use any arcane novelty pronoun
of their choice.

...knowing they are probably encouraging a right-wing populist uprising
down the road.

JL