[Ads-l] _checked_, adj. "checkt" v. "check-ed"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 11 23:15:13 UTC 2016

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 9:58 AM, Flourish Klink <flourish.klink at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've never heard "check-ed".

I've heard "checkt" countless times, just not as purely an adjective in the
phrase, "in a checkt pattern, " as is the case, here.

In this instance, a herpetologist was explaining how to tell poisonous
snake A from non-poisonous snake B, since both snakes looked like
brownish-colored snakes. "The brown and the tan scales of the poisonous
snake are arranged in a checkt pattern."

Abstracting away from the dialect split, as someone in the audience pointed
out, this information was essentially useless, since getting close enough
to the snake to discern this pattern necessitated getting close enough to
the snake to get bitten, while still not being close enough to discern the
pattern.

The herpetologist explained that, using a camera with a telescopic lens,
you take a photo of the snake and examine that. You don't try to examine
the snake itself.

--
-Wilson
-----