[Ads-l] Deadline for GURT 2017 extended to 31 October

GURT Conference gurt at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Wed Oct 12 16:21:25 UTC 2016

We have extended to 31 October the deadline for proposing posters, papers,
and colloquia for GURT 2017. The topic for this year is Variable
Properties: Their Nature and Acquisition.

Our main goal is to find a new, more comprehensive way of talking about
linguistic variation.  The meeting will deal with variable properties in
all areas of the field:  syntax, phonology, lexical, first and second
language acquisition, discourse strategies, and others.  The unifying focus
will be to see what can be said about the acquisition of these variable
properties, hoping by the end of the meeting to find commonalities.  No
other species and no other human cognitive capacity manifests the kind of
variation that human language shows, which therefore begs for a coherent
biological explanation.

If the goal is to change the dialogue, we need young people involved,
graduate students and postdocs, and we want more submissions from them.  As
encouragement, there will be a lunch for young people making presentations,
for them to meet and talk with the stellar invited speakers.  We hope to
provide financial support for those young people coming from out of town.

Check out our Twitter page: https://twitter.com/GURT2017; we have set up a
Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/gurt2017.  And the website, of
course, https://gurt.georgetown.edu/GURT%202017.

Please take advantage of this opportunity, help make the meeting a success,
and contribute to a better understanding of variable properties in language.