[Ads-l] "expire", trans.?

Geoffrey Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Tue Oct 18 21:10:36 UTC 2016

The use of 'expire' as a transitive verb is normal in the IT security space (as we, who live there, say). When someone is fired (RIF-ed, boxed, let go) it is sometimes necessary to deny them access to their email, file storage, access to servers, etc. When that is necessary, the password is 'expired'. I know the term has been used for many years.

*doffs Privacy Officer hat*

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
WSU Information Privacy Officer
Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 4:15 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: "expire", trans.?

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>

I suppose if governments can disappear people, programs can expire =
passwords.   I just got this as a

MESSAGE FROM DROPBOX:

Please change your password

We expired your password as a security precaution. See our Help Center =
for more information...

I then googled it and found,  inter alia, the following.  (I don't know =
if anyone other than Dropbox has the power to expire anything.)

https://www.dropbox.com/help/379 <https://www.dropbox.com/help/379>
Why did my password expire? - Dropbox Help - Dropbox<https://www.dropbox.com/help/379>
www.dropbox.com
Dropbox Help Center -- For your questions regarding Dropbox's Basic service, Dropbox Pro, and Dropbox Business

Why did my password expire? - Dropbox Help - Dropbox<https://www.dropbox.com/help/379>
www.dropbox.com
Dropbox Help Center -- For your questions regarding Dropbox's Basic service, Dropbox Pro, and Dropbox Business

Why did my password expire?

We may expire passwords from time to time as a proactive security =
measure to protect accounts. Accounts may be at risk if suspicious =
account activity is detected or passwords are exposed. Passwords can be =
exposed by a different service, phishing, or malware. You=E2=80=99ll =
need to update your password before linking a new computer, phone, =
tablet, or API app.

LH=

American Dialect Society<http://www.americandialect.org/>
www.americandialect.org
The American Dialect Society, founded in 1889, is dedicated to the study of the English language in North America, and of other languages, or dialects of other ...