[Ads-l] The _third degree_ antedating (?)

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Sun Oct 23 07:52:11 UTC 2016

                    Different text, earlier printing, wrong publication date.

[Apologies, especially to Garson, but I simply couldn't resist beginning with
the above line, which is an inference, and may be wrong.  Reasoning follows.]

Worldcat reads as follows for several of what they allege is the earliest
edition:

Walling, George W. Recollections of a New York Chief of Police, by George W.
Walling; an Official Record of Thirty-Eight Years As Patrolman, Detective,
Captain, Inspector and Chief of the New York Police. Illustrated from Original
Drawings and Photographs; and Historic Supplement of the Denver Police, by A.
Kaufmann. Illustrated. Specially Issued for the Benefit of the Denver Police
Mutual Aid Fund. [Denver], 1890

Crucially, though it doesn't show up in the cites generated from Worldcat, most
of the entries (several, as Worldcat concords various libraries, and thus often
has multiple records of the same edition), carry an additional (c) 1887.

Although not indicated as such on the title page, the "Historic Supplement of
the Denver Police, by A. Kaufmannis"  is [I assume] an addition included to a
Denver reprint of an earlier edition [the first, I presume] printed in New York.

Both texts are available on Hathi, but Garson [1887] is referring to the
original edition, while _Green's Dictionary of Slang_ [1890] is citing the later
reprinting.

However, and here's the kicker, while both texts have the same copyright date of
1887, the New York edition was, if we believe the title page, not actually
issued until the following year, 1888.

[Perhaps someone on the list could confirm this, and it's presumably something
to do with the way in which US -- or specifically New York? -- copyright laws
work, but I think I've come across before texts from this period where the
copyright date inside was a year earlier than the publication date on title
page.  Puzzling and awkward.]

So we are probably looking at at:

                   George Walling, _Recollections_ (1888)

Phew!!!