[Ads-l] Modern Proverb: When you=?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=99re_?=accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Tue Oct 25 23:52:11 UTC 2016

Several people contacted me to request an investigation of the following saying:

When You’re Accustomed to Privilege, Equality Feels Like Oppression
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2016/10/24/privilege/

In the QI article linked above Ben Zimmer found most of the
interesting precursors and mentioned them to me off-list.

I found a compact version in circulation by December 2010:
To the privileged, equality feels like oppression.

[Begin acknowledgement]
Great thanks to Colin Stokes, William Crawley, A K M Adam, James
Callan, James Gunter, Ben Zimmer, and Don whose inquiries led QI to
formulate this question and perform this exploration. Also thanks to
Ben Zimmer and Barry Popik for their research on this topic.)
[End acknowledgement]

Feedback and citations welcome.
Garson