[Ads-l] Cleveland Indians

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 26 18:30:01 UTC 2016

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 6:31 PM, Peter Reitan <pjreitan at hotmail.com> wrote:

> It seems plausible that in both cases the name "Buck" was associated with
> Indians because male Indians were then called "Bucks," in the same way
> female Indians were called "Squaws."

Not "was" and not only male _Indians_:

William Cowper Brann
www.expo98.msu.edu/people/Brann.htm
"The Buck Negro"
from The Works of Brann the Iconoclast
(New York: Brann Publishers, 1898), vol. 2

A _buck negro_ flaps its wings in Chicago - Leaked - UNIT587
www.unit587.com/bbs/leaked/298700-a-buck-negro-flaps-its-wings-in-chicago
Jul 24, 2016 - Reported by (anonymous) .. A butterfly gets shot in Tokyo.
Now you try the _buck negro_ effect.

Clearly, the note WRT Brann's essay,

*This essay contains material that may be offensive and should be viewed in
its historical context*

is bullshit. It's not "historical." It's contemporary.
--
-Wilson
-----