[Ads-l] dark poll

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Oct 26 23:46:24 UTC 2016

> On Oct 26, 2016, at 5:02 PM, Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Sure -- all the wrong ones.
>
> There have always been accusations against polling organizations that they
> are biased, either intentionally or not. Didn't the Goldwater campaign
> accuse the Gallup organization of being a "propaganda machine"? (Didn't the
> Gallup organization predict Romney the victor over Obama?)
>
> DanG

I know there were some Republican-friendly polls that were apparently widely believed at the time that predicted Romney, but I don't recall whether Gallup was among them.  There was the famous example (I assume actual and not apocryphal) of polls that predicted a landslide defeat of the Democratic candidate (Truman vs. Dewey? FDR vs. somebody?) that was flawed by having been conducted by telephone at a time when many voters were too poor to have one.  But that wasn't a dark poll, just a stupid one.

LH