[Ads-l] Victoria Quote About Gladstone

Sat Oct 29 18:01:53 UTC 2016

I haven't been able to substantiate the claim of a pertinent
memorandum from Queen Victoria in 1873, but I located some citations
that may be of interest.

Quotation references such "Cassell's Humorous Quotations" (2001) by
Nigel Rees and "The Yale Book of Quotations" (2006) by Fred R. Shapiro
cite the 1898 book "Collections and Recollections" by George W. E.
Russell to establish the linkage between the quotation: "He speaks to
me as if I was a public meeting" and Queen Victoria.

I've found that a different phrasing was in circulation by February
1894. Reginald B. Brett who knew Queen Victoria well wrote an article
about Lord Melbourne who served as Prime Minister. Brett felt that
Lord Melbourne had an excellent relationship with Queen Victoria, but
he mentioned an unnamed Prime Minister who had a poor relationship
because he "treated her as though she were . . . not a Sovereign, but
a public meeting".

Date: February 1894
Periodical: The Nineteenth Century: A Monthly Review
Volume: 35
Article: The Queen and Her Second Prime Minister
Article Author: Reginald B. Brett
Start Page 248, Quote Page 251 and 252
Publisher: Sampson Low, Marston & Company, London
Database: HathiTrust Full View

http://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015031300877?urlappend=%3Bseq=264

[Begin excerpt]
'The Queen,' said Lord Melbourne, 'is not conceited; she is aware
there are many things she cannot understand, and she likes to have
them explained to her elementarily, not at length and in detail, but
shortly and clearly; neither does she like long audiences, and I never
stayed with her a long time.' It would have been well if all her
Ministers had borne this advice in mind; for who can doubt but that
the Queen has suffered much at the hands of prolix political
enthusiasts, who have treated her as though she were not a woman, but
a man, and not a Sovereign, but a public meeting?
[End excerpt]

Brett did not ascribe the key phrase to Queen Victoria. Instead, the
phrase represented his opinion. But as shown in the citations below,
later readers re-assigned the words to Benjamin Disraeli and directly
to the Queen.

The following month Brett's article was reprinted in "Littell's Living Age".