[Ads-l] OT: Re: "slave"

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Fri Sep 2 15:20:08 UTC 2016

Sorry, I did write that.  Apparently I've changed my mind -- I think that in Key's verse "slaves" refers both to 1776 and 1812, literally means "enslaved blacks", probably simultaneously has the "cliche[d]" (and that is Jon's word) meaning, and is a coincidence only in that "slave" had dual meanings at the time ("someone enslaved by British rule" and "someone in involuntary servitude for life").

Joel

      From: Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Friday, September 2, 2016 10:39 AM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] OT: Re: "slave"

of "hirelings and slaves"

Gosh, Joel, you wrote those words, not me.

But I admit you had me scared for a minute.

My belief is that the presence of several score former U.S. slaves in the
British army in 1814, and Key's use of the cliche' "hirelings and slaves"
in reference to enemies of the United States, is what we linguists call a
"coincidence."

JL