[Ads-l] "slave"

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Sat Sep 3 00:14:41 UTC 2016

I'm gratified to read that Mark Clague agrees with me.  :-)  In particular, I quote another paragraph from his article, additional to the one Ben quotes:

"The middle two verses of Key's lyric vilify the British enemy in the War of 1812, what Key refers to in Verse 3 as "hirelings and slaves." This enemy included both whites and blacks, largely British professional soldiers (hirelings) but also the Corps of Colonial Marines (slaves). The Colonial Marines were escaped black American slaves who joined British forces because of the promise of freedom in return for fighting their former masters."

Joel

      From: Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Friday, September 2, 2016 6:48 PM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] "slave"

Mark Clague, a musicologist at the University of Michigan and the founding
board chairman of the Star Spangled Music Foundation, wrote this rebuttal
on CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/31/opinions/star-spangled-banner-criticisms-opinion-clague/

The New York Times has an interview with Clague:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/03/arts/music/colin-kaepernick-national-anthem.html

Relevant excerpt:

----
The social context of the song comes from the age of slavery, but the song
itself isn’t about slavery, and it doesn’t treat whites differently from
blacks. The reference to slaves is about the use, and in some sense the
manipulation, of black Americans to fight for the British, with the promise
of freedom. The American forces included African-Americans as well as
whites. The term “freemen,” whose heroism is celebrated in the fourth
stanza, would have encompassed both.
----