[Ads-l] Antedating (?) Joe Soap

Sun Sep 4 19:41:06 UTC 2016

Here are two citations supporting the anonymous/everyman sense of "Joe
Soap". In 1907 an individual who does not wish to identify himself
uses the moniker "Joe Soap". In 1920 an anonymous letter published in
a newspaper used the name "Joe Soap" as a signature. Please
double-check for errors.

Date: April 13, 1907
Newspaper: The Chepstow Weekly Advertiser
Newspaper Location: Gwent, Wales
Article: Chepstow Petty Sessions: Riotous Behaviour
Quote Page 4, Column 4
Database: britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

[Begin excerpt]
Witness then went across the road to him and told him to be quiet, and
defendant who was using very bad language, put on his coat and got
into his trap. Witness then asked him him his name and he said "Joe
Soap, that will do for you."
[End excerpt]