[Ads-l] A linguistic lesson in diversity and tolerance

Mon Sep 5 16:45:03 UTC 2016

Here is a version of the joke in "Boys' Life" in 1962.

Date: February 1962
Periodical: Boys' Life
Article: Think and Grin
Quote Page 78, Column 3
Publisher: Boy Scouts of America, New Brunswick, New Jersey
Database: Google Books Full View

https://books.google.com/books?id=8dAIa-7YswsC&q=%22Two+sheep%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
Two sheep were grazing in a field.
The first sheep said to the second, "BA-AAA."
The second replied, "MOOO."
The first said "Whaddaya mean, MOOO?"
The second replied "I'm studying a foreign language!"—James Johnson,
Madison. N.J.
[End excerpt]

There are also matches for the "two sheep" version of the joke in and
"Co-operative Digest: The National Magazine of Agricultural
Cooperation" with an uncertain GB year of 1961 and "The Poultry
Farmer" with an uncertain GB year of 1962.

Garson