[Ads-l] Fwd: [research help] certain book at Yale libraries

Tim Stewart timoteostewart1977 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 9 15:22:00 UTC 2016

I reached out to Yale Libraries about a month ago for some research help
(see below), and I haven't heard a peep back. Is the "askyale at gmail.com"
address I used not a good email address to use? Can someone on the list
suggest a Yale Libraries person or email address I can more fruitfully send
my inquiry to?

As an aside, if someone on the list would be able to visit Yale and photo
these pages for me, I'd be willing to trade in-kind a research trip to my
local University of Texas at Austin (featuring the Harry Ransom Center).
The PCL <https://catalog.lib.utexas.edu/> and HRC
<http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/collections/books/> (the archive, not the
candidate) have some pretty sweet holdings.

Tim Stewart

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tim Stewart <tim at dictionaryofchristianese.com>
Date: Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 10:06 PM
Subject: assistance with Charles Templeman Loram papers
To: askyale at gmail.com

Dear Yale Libraries,

I'm a lexicographer and researcher in Austin, TX, and I'm currently writing
a historical dictionary about blended words related to the names of
Protestant Christian denominations. My work involves a great deal of
gathering quotations of these words being used in print going back as far
back in the publishing record as I can.

I have reason to suspect that the word "episcopresbygational" appears in
chapter 9 of a book in the Charles Templeman Loram papers. I am not
currently in a position to fly up to Connecticut and investigate this one
word myself, so my request is this... would it be possible for someone at
the Sterling Memorial Library to page through chapter 9 of the book below
and, if the word "episcopresbygational" appears, to photograph those pages
on which the word appears (and the adjacent pages, for context), so that I
can examine the usage of the word and possibly include a short quotation of
the word's usage in this book in my dictionary? I will be happy to pay
reasonable charges for this research assistance (though if this is a
service provided free by the Yale Libraries, I won't say not to that!).
Photographs of the title page and copyright page of the book will also help
me to properly cite this source.

*Finding aid for Charles Templeman Loram collection:*
http://drs.library.yale.edu/fedora/get/mssa:ms.0010/PDF

*Specific document I am interested in:*
Christofersen, A. F., *The First One Hundred Years of American Board
Mission in South Africa*, 1835-1936

*Location of this document in the Loram papers: *
Box 11, Folder 225

*Suspected location of sentence(s) using the word "episcopresbygational":*

chapter 9

I am linking to an excerpt of the current draft of my dictionary in
progress, the *Dictionary of Blended Denominations*, to give you a sense of
the scholarly character of this research project and to persuade you that
your assistance will be a significant contribution to an advancement of
lexicography and to the study of the Protestant Christian sociolect.

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57894/email/Yale%20rr/excerpt%
20of%20Dictionary%20of%20Blended%20Denominations%
20for%20Yale%20Libraries%20%28August%203%2C%202016%29.pdf

Tim Stewart
editor-in-chief of *Dictionary of Blended Denominations*