[Ads-l] Antedating of "Melting Pot"

Wed Sep 14 15:44:06 UTC 2016

Here is a precursor use of "melting pot" in 1861. The topic seems to
be remaking nations (and perhaps nationalities) via warfare.

[ref] 1861 July 3, The Times, London, Wednesday, July 3, 1861: In the
House of Lords last night, Quote Page 8, Column 6, London, Greater
London, England. (Newspapers.com)[/ref]

https://www.newspapers.com/image/32904962/?terms=%22melting%2Bpot%22%2B

[Begin excerpt]
JOHN RUSSELL does not seem to take a sanguine view of the undertaking.
He objects that NAPOLEON I. could not do it when in possession of all
Europe, and that Lord CASTLEREAGH could not do it in 1815, when all
Europe was thrown into the melting-pot, and nations came out moulded
according to his will.
[End excerpt]

Here is an instance of "melting pot" in 1877, but this "pot" does not
have the power to combine disparate elements:

[ref] 1877 October 31, The Times, Article: Mount Ararat.* Footnote
Text: '"*Transcaucasia and Ararat." By James Bryce, author of "The
Holy Roman Empire." Macmillan and Co., 1877', Quote Page 4, Column 3,
London, Greater London, England. (Newspapers.com)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Tiflis, the capital of the Provinces which contain such a motley
population, is a city of contrasts and mixtures, "a melting-pot into
which elements have been poured from half Europe and Asia, and in
which they show no signs of combining." Unfortunately, too, Tiflis is
a melting-pot in another sense. In summer it is intolerably hot and
close.
[End excerpt]

Garson