[Ads-l] Where are the PC police?

Sun Sep 18 03:14:03 UTC 2016

Back in 2010 I mentioned that "Google Books contains a document titled
'Remarkable Story of Chicken Little' by John Greene Chandler dated
1840 but it cannot be examined because there is 'No preview
available'."

Robin just sent me (off-list) some additional bibliographical data
about this 1840 edition.

Now, I see that American Antiquarian Society based in Worcester,
Massachusetts has an "extremely rare first edition" from 1840, and
they have posted scans of a few pages.

http://www.americanantiquarian.org/Exhibitions/View/7/fig7_7.htm
http://www.americanantiquarian.org/Exhibitions/Inpursuit/case8/case8_11.htm

There is a downloadable PDF at the second link that contains a few
pages. Here is the story text on the pages. Please double-check for
errors. The main plot event: A leaf fell on the tail of Chicken
Little.

[Begin text of page 1]
Did you ever hear of Chicken Little, how she disturbed a whole
neighborhood by her foolish alarm?
[End text]

[Begin text of page 2]
Well, Chicken Little was running about in a gentleman's garden, where
she had no business to be: she ran under a rose-bush, and a leaf fell
on her tail; so she was dreadfully frightened, and ran away to Hen
Pen.
[End excerpt]

Page 3 and subsequent pages are not displayed on the website of the
American Antiquarian Society. The text below is from a later section
of the story. It contains the key phrase "the sky is falling". This
text was displayed in the back cover, I think.

[Begin text (located on back cover, I think)]
"O Duck Luck!" says Hen Pen, "the sky is falling." "How do you know
it?" says Duck Luck. "Chicken Little told me." "Chicken Little, how do
you know it?" "O, I saw it with my eyes, I heard it with my ears, and
part of it fell on my tail. O, come, let us run!"
[End text]

Garson