[Ads-l] troops

Christopher Philippo toff at MAC.COM
Sun Sep 18 14:21:51 UTC 2016

On Sep 18, 2016, at 9:58 AM, Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
> I also am confused about ambiguity. The Syrian Army is AFAIK a formal army.
> Both troops and soldiers seem to be correct.

I didn’t write that soldiers wasn’t correct.  I am uncertain as to the reason for any confusion given that I had explicitly stated what the ambiguity was:

On Sep 18, 2016, at 8:03 AM, Christopher Philippo <toff at mac.com> wrote:
> sixty-two people (as seems to be the case) or sixty-two units of people

That “troops” may be used for both a number of people or a number of military subunits, and that both uses may be correct creates ambiguity - as stated repeatedly in the link I had shared in connection with my referring to the ambiguity, e.g.:

http://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/dictionary/a-troop-of-one/

The ADS thread mentioned in the visualthesaurus article: http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2003-April/031099.html

http://www.npr.org/sections/ombudsman/2010/08/13/129183352/is-there-such-a-thing-as-one-troop